More Club History
... More words taken from The Westbury Harriers 75th Anniversary Club History Book, compiled by the late Peter Griffin.
The following is an extract from the first Minute Book:
"At a meeting of sportsmen at the 'White Lion Hotel', Westbury, Feb. 8th 1924, it was proposed by Mr. P. Ubank, seconded by Mr. Busby that a Harriers Club be formed and that it should be called "Westbury Harriers" carried unanimously.
"The following officers were elected "pro-
Chairman: J. Chambers. Prop. by Mr. G. R. Walker, seconded by Mr. G. Pyke carried.
Secretary and Tres.: G. R. Walker, Prop. Mr. G. Pyke. seconded by Mr. Ritchings carried.
Captain: Mr. J. Chambers, Prop. by Mr. G. Pyke, seconded Mr. Clarke carried.
Vice Capt. Mr. W. Busby. Prop. Mr. H. Whyati, seconded Mr. Ritchings carried.
Proposed by Mr. G. Pike that the entrance fee and sub at present be 2/-
It is interesting to note that 'The White Lion Hotel' was originally an old Inn and
Posting Station in whose courtyard it was customary for the local lads to settle
their disputes in the old-